Carpenters Retirement Plan
To apply for disability benefits under this plan, please use the following guidelines:
- You must contact Retirement Services at Carpenters Trusts.
- Retirement Services will mail you a Disability Retirement Questionnaire and related documents. You must complete these forms as soon as possible and return them to Retirement Services at Carpenters Trusts within the timeline described on the election forms. Your Carpenters Retirement Plan Explanation of Payment Options and Election of Retirement Benefits form must be completed in the presence of a notary public. In general, your retirement date is the later of the first of the month following timely receipt of your completed election forms and other required documentation or your six-month waiting period.
- You must provide the following documents:
- Proof of your date of birth (preferably a birth certificate or passport).
- If you have divorced at any time during your career as a carpenter, you must also submit a copy of your divorce decree, property settlement agreement and domestic relations order (if applicable).
These documents are used to process your application only and are maintained under strict privacy guidelines.
- You may elect to receive your monthly benefit as a direct deposit into your checking or savings account or as a paper check. Your direct deposit payments are deposited in your bank account on the first business day of each month. Your paper check is processed and mailed so it is received on the first business day of the month.
- For additional information about the application and election process, please see Article 6.8.
If you become disabled when you are age 55 or older, regular, special early or rule of 80 early retirement may provide a higher monthly benefit than disability retirement. Please contact Retirement Services at Carpenters Trusts for assistance. If you elect disability retirement before age 55 and meet the rule of 80 or special early retirement requirements, you can apply for these benefits at age 55
Last Updated: 01/09/2018